Wild Yam.Dioscorea villosa and Phytochemicals.
- Botanical Basic data of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa.
- Botanical Description of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa.
- Properties of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa.
- Wild Yam and Its Phytochemicals.
- Discover of disgenin from Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa.
- Food and Pharmaceutical Uses of Wild Yam:Huai Shan Yao.
- What is hormone banlancing mechanism? Wild Yam act as hormone balancer,diosgenin as substitution of progesterone.
- Breast Enlargement effect of Diosgenin as phytoestrogens.
- Why should Women Use Wild Yam?
- Therapeutic Action,Pharmacology and application of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa and diosgenin.
- Dosage Recomments,Safety Toxicity and Administrations.
- Conclusions and summary.
- Final report of the amended safety assessment of Dioscorea Villosa Wild Yam root extract.
- Uses based on scientific evidence.
- Diosgenin and Wild Yam Research Update.
- Dioscorea Use in Chinese Medicine.
- How Search engine think about Diosgenin and Yam.
- Research update.
- Photo Gallery of Dioscorea villosa.
Botanical Description of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa.:
Dioscorea is an herbaceous twining perennial common in China main land,Mexico,the eastern and central United States. Twining in hedges,and over bushes and fences,the thin,woolly,reddish-brown stem grows up to 6m long.
The slender, tuberous rootstock is crooked and laterally branched.Broadly ovate and cordate,the leaves are from 5-15cm long and 3-12cm wide,glabrous on top,and finely hairy underneath.They are usually alternate, but the lower leaves sometimes grow in twos and fours.The small, greenish-yellow flowers bloom during June and July, the male flowers in drooping panicles,the female in drooping,spicate racemes.
The fruit is a three-winged capsule containing winged seeds.
Introduction:When it was decided to review the wild yam and related Dioscorea species it was probably in ignorance of the complexity of the task. This is a fascinating plant with many uses in folk lore and also in the history of the development of modern pharmacy. The number of species is quite overwhelming (over 600) and the ethnobotanical use most interesting.
Harvest and Processing:
Dig out rhizomes in winter; cut off top part of roots; remove cork and fine roots; wash clean; dry under the sun to produce 'Mao shanyao'(Hairy Common Yam Rhizome). Alternatively, choose the plump and uncurved Mao shanyao and put into fresh water; soak thoroughly; knead on wooden boards until cylindrical; cut both ends cleanly; dry under the sun and polish to produce 'Guang shanyao'(Glabrous Common Yam Rhizome).
Mao shanyao: Slightly cylindrical, curved and slightly flattened; 15-30 cm long, 1.5-6 cm in diameter; outer surface yellowishwhite or pale yellow, marked with longitudinal grooves, longitudinal wrinkles and scars of fine roots, and occasionally with remnants of light brown cork. Heavy; hard and solid, does not break easily; when broken, surface white and starchy. Taste: mild and slightly sour, sticky when chewed.
Guang shanyao: Cylindrical, both ends even; 9-18 cm long, 1.5-3 cm in diameter; outer surface smooth, white or yellowish-white. Commonly seen in the form of angled-cut and length-wise cut slices.
- Wild Yam.Dioscorea villosa and Phytochemicals.
♥The article and literature was edited by herbalist of MDidea Extracts Professional.It runs a range of online descriptions about the titled herb and related phytochemicals,including comprehensive information related,summarized updating discoveries from findings of herbalists and clinical scientists from this field.The electronic data information published at our official website www.mdidea.com and www.mdidea.net,we tried best to update it to latest and exact as possible.
♣ last edit date: